Buono Beef’s – Italian Beef Recipe
Ingredients Provided by Joe Buonavolanto Jr., co-owner of Buona Beef Restaurants.
- 9-10 lbs top inside beef round
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 qt. water
- 1/2 cup chopped oregano
- 1/4 C. salt
- 1/4 C. black pepper
- 1 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 35 freshly baked French rolls
- 1 1/2 lbs. sliced mozzarella cheese (for smaller portions reduce ingredients proportionally)
Directions For roasting times, figure on 10-12 minutes per pound for medium. Check with a meat thermometer for an internal temperature of 130 degrees Fahrenheit for rare, 140 degrees Fahrenheit for medium
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place sirloin in a roasting pan and dry roast for 15-20 minutes.
2. Remove pan from oven and add water, oregano, garlic, salt, pepper and pepper flakes. Return to oven and roast at 350 degrees for 2 to 2 1/2 hours.
3. Remove from oven. Allow to rest for 15 minutes. Internal temperature will rise 5-10 degrees. Thinly slice the beef and pile it high on freshly baked French rolls. Add cheese if desired. Reserve cooking juices to make “wet” sandwiches.
4. Garnish with sliced sweet bell peppers and hot giardiniera.
Makes 30-40 sandwiches depending on portion size.