Active Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 2 cups white vinegar
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 small head cauliflower, trimmed and cut into bite-size florets
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Combine vinegar, water, sugar, bay leaf and 1/2 teaspoon each crushed red pepper and salt in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil.
- Add cauliflower, celery, carrot and bell pepper.
- Reduce the heat to maintain a lively simmer and cook until the vegetables are tender-crisp, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Reserve 3 tablespoons of the cooking liquid, then drain.
- Transfer the vegetables to a medium bowl.
- Stir in oil, pepper, the remaining 1/2 teaspoon each crushed red pepper and salt and the reserved cooking liquid.
- Refrigerate for at least 25 minutes to chill. Stir and serve with a slotted spoon.
Per 1/2-cup serving: 61 calories; 4 g fat ( 1 g sat , 3 g mono ); 0 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 51 mg sodium; 203 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (63% daily value), Vitamin A (29% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 0